Wednesday, January 2, 2008

THE LUST OF WINTER and THE WOLF MOON of JANUARY by Wolf

The Wolf Moon comes in January which is in the heart of winter. It is when wolves could be heard howling with hunger outside of villages and human settlements. I had that in mind this morning when I went on my early morning work. It was at 6AM and the temperature was a brisk 29 degrees. I was in ecstasy as I left the warm comfort of my home and was assaulted by the cold wind. I actually love it this time of year. Yes the Fall can be nice but here in the South the weather is constantly changing. So we still have hot days in December. So it's up to the month of January to chill the bones of the weak and strengthen those of us who lust for the cold dark Winter.

As I walked my route through the neighborhood I started recollecting all of the things I lust about in Winter. There's that "silence" about in the early morning. You don't hear the lifesigns of animals or bugs. There's that "crunch" sound when you walk across frozen grass. Then there's the crackle of my leather jacket in the cold air. It's a powerful sound, the crack of leather, almost masterful, unrelenting, powerful.Then there's the solitude that you are one of the few walking about at that time of the morning in the cold. At least for foot traffickers, there's still the early morning drivers headed to work who fly by, taking advantage of the empty streets.

It's very different from when I had to go back out in the afternoon to run errands and pick up some Chinese food for lunch. Yes that's when the sidewalks were fuller of people all hustling about. I could see that they were miserable amid this drop in temperature. I simply smiled as I walked down the street passing them by. I even heard one jackass curse because he wasn't dressed warm enough. My thoughts brought me back to the years I spent in Alaska. I felt the chill of 75 degrees below zero, when ice sickles from on your nose hair and your eye lashes freeze up. You continually blink to free them or your eyes will freeze shut. Lovely weather up there and I recommend everyone in the southern regions to experience it at least once in their lifetime. It was up in Alaska where my fingers tips got frost nipped. So ever since, whenever the temperature gets to freezing or below. My finger tips lose all feeling. And yet my heart still lusts for the cold.

With that all said for this early part of January I'll be catching up on some releases that came out in the Fall of 2007 and weren't in our reviews. I have a stack of them in front of me now. Each one is calling to me to be listened to over and over. Preferably during the cold darkness of night under the January Wolf Moon.
Happy New Year? Not very likely!

No comments: