Saturday, January 26, 2008

SEVERE TORTURE - Sworn Vengeance CD review

SEVERE TORTURE - Sworn Vengeance CDOne time a friend told me that the best way to describe Death Metal to someone was to turn the FM radio up and then turn the dial as fast as possible. Obviously he was trying to make a joke about the whole genre. I'm not one to joke about Death Metal but the guy did have a point. There are times when the genre can become stale and sterile to the point where you can't distinguish one band from another. But that can be said about almost all musical genres whether it's Extreme Music or the crap the losers listen to.

Which brings me to the latest release by SEVERE TORTURE, a band from my ancestral homeland of Holland. Yes I'm a Dutchman by heart and I'm also part German and Irish. Plus I'm an American which means with all of that heritage behind me, screw with me and you'll be devastated beyond belief. Which is what SEVERE TORTURE is probably doing right now since they're on the European Devastation 2008 Tour. Now as far as this Cd goes I will not say it blasts me out of my chair and across the room. But for Death Metal purists this is very "kick your fucking ass" type stuff. I will say for the so-called "experts" this might be Death Metal template rehash. Thankfully I'm not one of those bored little shits. "Sworn Vengeance" hark ens back to the days of CANNIBAL CORPSE and some of the more twisted aspects of MORBID ANGEL. Yeah we're talking traditional US style Death Metal here folks brought to us from the Dutch.

With this release SEVERE TORTURE are not trying to win you over with techno wizardry (boring) or some grand spectacle of sight & sound (wow theatrics). Instead this is Death Metal for people who have a devilish passion for having that grey matter vibrate within their skulls. If I were to choose a few tracks worthy of hunting down low rent west coast slobs too, I'd definitely say "Dogmasomatic Nausea". It's probably the most hate filled blast on here. Then I'd follow that up with "Countless Villains" and the title track for severe bloodletting fun. All in all this is a great release.
EARACHE RECORDS

http://www.myspace.com/severetorture
http://www.earache.com
http://www.severetorture.com

No comments: