Tuesday, January 8, 2008

THRONE OF KATARSIS - An Eternal Dark Horizon CD review

THRONE OF KATARSIS - An Eternal Dark Horizon CD
This full length debut by Norwegian Black Metal duo, THRONE OF KATARSIS contains five long songs that are all close to ten minutes in length. No this is not an CDEP. Actually each song has a variety of unexpected twists and so there's two or three songs within one. I like the way it all comes out and I'm pissed off that I didn't review this in Dec. because it would have been on my "best of 2007" list.

What makes this release so appealing to my Black Metal loving black heart is that along with the typical drones, blasts, and all around diabolical evil that you always get by almost all bands in this genre. Grimnisse (vocals,guitar,bass) and Vardalu (drums) add melody plus some acoustic guitar elements. These are not just five songs but five grand compositions that demand complete concentrated listening. For those of you who might not have read my past reviews. I listen to a release a number of times before I start writing about it. And then while I write, the CD is playing on my stereo. This time around I find myself stopping in the middle of writing this review just to listen to each song over and over again.

There's something about "An Eternal Dark Horizon" that grabs your attention and transports your conscience to a place where THRONE OF KATARSIS wants it to be. While the music plays in the background, I'll stare at the cover photo with Grimnisse running through the woods holding a shortened sling blade. Then it's as if I'm there standing off to the side watching all of this going on. Wow great, the CD induces astral projections/out of body experience sensations. Hey, please note that I'm just drinking coffee right now. The back cover photo has Vardalv standing in a snowy woodland setting at night holding a flaming torch aloft. It's almost a nightmarish vision that sits well with the music on here. Fans of past and present day Black Metal will find this release a worthy listening experience.
CANDLELIGHT Records

http://www.candlelightrecordsusa.com

No comments: