Friday, December 28, 2007

Om - Pilgrimage CD


Om - Pilgrimage CD

Actually I reviewed this CD a few weeks ago on the Scumfeast Metal myspace blog and I really didn't give it a fair review. So here we are again and as an old friend of mine used to say (concerning beer of course) "one more one more time".

Om are CHRIS HAKIUS and AL CISNEROS, the former rhythm section for Doom pioneers, SLEEP. When former SLEEP guitarist MATT PIKE went out and decided to rock out with his new band HIGH ON FIRE. The rhythm duo went off into their own world and started playing even slower tempo trance drug inspiring grooves. And you thought your divorce was unique?
So here we have "Pilgrimage", their third release and you know I have a sneaking suspision that other reviewers must be on some type of drug while reviewing this. I'm just now catching a Pabst Blue Ribbon buzz, but I'm reviewing it at 2 AM to get the full psych damage effect. And for all of you who don't know me personally, I've been off illegal substances for a decade now. Strangely enough the last substance was an organic hallusionagenic and it would seem that to get the full effect of this release, I'd have to have a flashback.
"Pilgrimage" is just a four song CD, but the cuts are LONG! The opening one, the title track, is a ten minute plus dirge that reminds me of PINK FLOYD's "Careful With That Axe, Eugene". That's aslong as only Waters and Mason are in control of it. Maybe the insperation behind this was "what if they killed Wright and Gilmour and recorded that song on their own"? What's even more mind blowing is that it reprises itself as the fourth track. Maybe they just ran out of ideas. You spend ten minutes jamming on the same riffs you'll lose your concentration and your insperation. Trust me on that one. I hate trying to write reviews and then there's banging on my front door. It totally fucks everything up.
Which brings me to the second cut on here, "Untive Knowledge of the Godhead". It's here that Om liven up a little with some heavy GEEZER BUTLER style bass grooves that will definately revive you from the first cut's trance inducing. Also the follow-up song "Bhima's Theme" is another wake-up call for the druggies. It's too bad this isn't on vinyl because I would put this thing on 45 speed and imagine I was listening to SABBATH with the treble off.
All in all if you're into qualudes and Robotusin styled metal than you want this for your next hippie optional party. I'm sure there will be alot of zombies standing against walls banging their heads to the beat.

No comments: