Friday, January 18, 2008

ELECTRIC WIZARD - Witchcult Today CD review

ELECTRIC WIZARD - Witchcult Today Cd
I was really caught up in the hype of this, their sixth release. I was expecting drug induced black doom with Jus Oorn and Liz Buckingham humping while on top of the corpse of "Masters of Reality" era SABBATH. I was expecting "Dopethrone 2007" with extra sludge on the side. I was expecting hippies buried up to their necks in sand, with Charlie Manson coming at them on a riding lawnmower, tripping his brains out on a new designer psychedelic drug. Instead we've got the equivalent of sitting in a uncomfortable chair at an overly extended Narcotics Anonymous meeting. They should've titled this one "Dude, Who Pissed in My Bong?"

I'll admit that prior to getting this, I was listening to the PRE-ELECTRIC WIZARD CD alot, the late 80's ETERNAL being my favorite obviously. But what bothers me about "Witchcult Today" is for starters, the sequence of songs. "Satanic Rites of Drugula" should've opened this dirge up and not the title cut. I'm into listening and my only thought is to go get a beer. Whatever happened to the universe of doom that made listeners dive in head first? Plus "Satanic Rites of Drugula" is funny and inviting. A stoned out Dracula looking for people to get high by biting them? "Dunwich" is definitely a no-brainier since you need to wake up once in a while. The rest of this CD would induce sleep on coke head.

I just don't get the dumming down to which this band has come. Three years since their last release and we get the result of pothead released from jail after being straight for so long and having a relationship on the inside if you know what I mean. And I bet you do. The power was cut off on ELECTRIC WIZARD because somebody blew the bill money on bad weed.
RISE ABOVE RECORDS
http://www.riseaboverecords.com























No comments: